Thursday, January 19, 2012

More on the bass trumpet

I began soldering the valve slides on to the valve block, but in the process of aligning the third valve slide, part of the tubing split in three spots and broke into pieces... Not too happy now.

There should be enough tubing to rework the slide configuration, but it may point down like a marching trombone or mellophone, unless I can find another main tuning tube.

Then I worked on a customer's 100 year old trombone, rolled out the bell throat (was crushed) and fixed the brace... Only when I was looking at the main tuning slide, did I notice that all of the braces were pitched at an angle - meaning that the customer attempted to pull out the slide, yet since the slide was stuck (a newer slide meant to bring the pitch down to modern 440), he pulled and pulled until he pulled the large end out about an inch and pulling the bell back an inch, everything else stayed where it was. Now I need to lightly and slowly hammer all of the braces back to parallel and lap the main slide to make it a bit more free.

No comments:

Post a Comment